First of all congratulations! By accessing this part of our web site you are taking the first step towards successfully giving up smoking. Here are some sobering facts to further motivate you in relation to your desire to become free of your smoking addiction:
- About a quarter of the UK population still smoke cigarettes – that is around 10 million people
- About half of all regular cigarette smokers will eventually be killed by their addiction
- Smoking causes almost 90% of deaths from lung cancer, around 80% of deaths from bronchitis and emphysema, and around 17% of deaths from heart disease
- About one third of all cancer deaths can be attributed to smoking. These include cancer of the lung, mouth, lip, throat, bladder, kidney, stomach, liver and cervix
- Stopping smoking reduces the risk of developing many fatal diseases. One year after stopping, the risk of a heart attack falls to about half that of a smoker and within five years falls to a level similar to that of a non-smoker
- Within 10-15 years of quitting, an ex-smoker’s risk of developing lung cancer is only slightly greater than that of a non-smoker.
- As many as 70% of current smokers claim they would like to quit the habit
Select the links below to read more….